17 September 2009

Hopeful Emptiness


I must not be very good at blogging, because my last update was over a month ago. But all that matters is that I'm back now, right?

I believe the last time I wrote in this blog, I was lamenting over leaving my cushy internship with Sony and starting a new job as an assistant at a no-frills TV station. A stark difference between the lavish employee life at Sony Pictures. However, a month later, I feel a month older, and a month wiser. I actually like my new job. The people here are very nice, and I actually feel confident here. A little too confident. I'm the type of person that likes to be kept on my toes. I enjoy having a constant feeling of being challenged, so that I can grow. If I'm not growing, then I am stagnant; stagnancy makes me crazy, and life is too short to spend it being crazy. So starting now, I am planting the necessary seeds to initiate a massive change in my life.

For starters, I strongly dislike Los Angeles. I was born, and raised here, so it will always have a special place in my heart, but whoever planned this city should run over by the traffic on the 405. So what is the best thing to do when you dislike the place you live?... MOVE!

I am applying to DePaul University in Chicago, for the MFA Program in Digital Cinema. Why DePaul you may ask? Why Chicago? Well, Depaul, unlike other masters programs, has specializations and courses in all things digital. From digital moving images to digital photography. In case you have been living under a rock, the "film and motion picture" industry is making a very slow, but steady transition from film to digital formats. It's easier, cheaper, cleaner, and much more efficient. DePaul is also a FRACTION of the price of its overpriced, yet maybe higher esteemed counterparts (NYU and USC). And Chicago? Chicago is my favorite U.S. city. I partially grew up there since nearly my entire extended family is dispersed all over the city. Beautiful city, relatively reasonable cost of living, no need for a car and the perfect place for me. This grad school opportunity will not only afford me a great education where I can improve on my filmmaking and photography skill, but it will allow me to live in a place that inspires me to want to be a thriving creator, and an innovative artist.

I'm becoming more serious all around. I'm taking an After Effects course at L.A. Mission College, and I am going to buy that pricey Nikon D90 as an upgrade to my D60, so I can really become serious about my photography aspirations. To keep me on track, I uploaded this beautiful photo (above) of the Chicago skyline to the desktop of my blackberry. Whenever I look down, I will be reminded of what I need to be looking UP to. This is the plan, and I am sticking to it. More updates soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment