
So last Friday was the last day of my internship, and the first day of my descent into adulthood. Yes, I intentionally used the word "descent". As a recent college graduate, I was left out in the cold, unemployed, in this lackluster economy. Luckily, I found an "assistant" position that is suitable for my needs right now. It's a far cry from Sony Pictures, but do I have any other choice?
This weekend, I watched a film for the first time entitled, "9 to 5", starring Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, and Dolly Parton. Not only did I LOVE the film, but I found it to be eerily reflective of my life at the moment. The story is about these three women that work for an egotistical, sexist boss in an unidentifiable business. There is a namesake song by Dolly Parton from the film. These are the lyrics from the chrous:
Workin 9 to 5
What a way to make a livin
Barely gettin by
Its all takin
And no givin
They just use your mind
And they never give you credit
Its enough to drive you
Crazy if you let it
What a way to make a livin
Barely gettin by
Its all takin
And no givin
They just use your mind
And they never give you credit
Its enough to drive you
Crazy if you let it
Please find the song on iTunes or something. It's very catchy.
In modern (Western) society, we are trained from infancy that the steps in pursuing happiness are: to work hard, get GOOD grades, get into a GOOD college, get a GOOD job, get married to a GOOD spouse, have a GOOD family, and the climax... have a GOOD life. Well what if I don't want to be GOOD. What about those of us that want to be SPECTACULAR. Should we follow these same steps? People are expected to workhorse themselves into the ground 5 days a week, 8 hours a day... and for what? A paycheck. Why? I just want to live. I just want to do what I want to do, when I want to do it. But then I guess I wouldn't be descending into adulthood, right? I just don't think that it's right. We should be working "9 to 5" not just to make a living, but to fulfill ourselves emotionally. This is my quest. My goal for the next 24 months. Not to make a GOOD living, but to be happily SPECTACULAR.
So, in an effort to release some of my emotions , I have decided to create this here blog. I will be disclosing my journey to "fulfillment", or at least share some funny stories along the way.
So thank you Dolly Parton for your inspiring, toe-tappingly poignant lyrics. And here we go...
No comments:
Post a Comment